Weirdest Facts About The Human Body
So you think you know yourslf pretty good, do you? Well think again, the human body has been fascinating scientists and researchers for ages now, some have even died for science in order for us to know all that we know now, and yet… we still do not know enough. I bet you had no idea that the acid in your stomach is powerful enough to dissolve a razorblade. Are you a tennis fan? I know I am and imagine my surprise when I heard that the surface area of just one lung is equal to that of a tennis court. We have plenty more of interesting and pretty amazing facts about the human body, so have a look and prepare yourself to be amazed.
1. Facts about the Human Brain
- The speed of nerve impulses is 170 miles per hour. Surely you might have wondered why that splinter that just made its way in to your toe hurts so fast, well, it’s because of the super speed of the impulses that travel from and to the brain. Pretty neat, huh? Now go and take that splinter out before it starts hurting even more 😛
- You brain cells can store five times as much information as there is in the Britannica Encyclopedia. So far, the scientists haven’t yet reached a definite value as to how much information our little brain can “absorb”, but it is estimated around 170 terabytes so you better put all of that space to good use.
- Your brain can not feel pain! Yep, that’s right, the brain itself, as an organ can not feel pain despite the fact that it is the center of pain. So if you’re wondering why your head hurts from time to time, take an Advil and keep reading this article. The brain is surrounded bu plenty of blood vessels and nerves which are responsive to pain, hence the head aches.
2. Internal Organs
- You have over 60 thousand miles of blood vessels inside of you. Now if you don’t know how much that is, know that the Earth’s circumference is about 25 thousand miles, so if we were to stretch out all of the vessels in our body, we could go around the Earth two and a half times.
- The human liver has over 500 different functions. Practically, the liver handles quite a lot, it doesn’t just sit around and starts hurting after a night when you’ve had too much to drink. It makes proteins, it kills old red blood cells and these are just a few of it’s functions.
- Do you like roses? Well then you should know that the aorta’s diameter is close to that of a garden rose.
- Sneezes come out with the speed of 100 miles per hour making it impossible for you to sneeze with your eyes open, but that shouldn’t stop you from covering your mouth when you sneeze… Coughs come out with “just” 60 mph, it’s no wonder why you catch a cold so fast when it’s flu season and you’re at the office.
- Your feet have 500,000 sweat glands which can produce about one pint of sweat per day, it’s a good thing they don’t though…
- And since we’re talking body fluids, during a life time we produce enough saliva to fill up two athletic swimming pools… yuck!
3. Hair and Nails
- Blondes have more fun, and apparently, they also have more hair. The genes for hair color also determine the density of your hair. A hair folicule is capable of producing 20 individual hairs. Blondes have an average of 146,000 follicles, while eople with lack hair have 110,000 and those with brown hair have just 100,000. It could be worse… red headed people only have 86,000 follicles.
- Human hair is practically indestructible. I mean sure, if you even put hair near a flame it goes up in smoke, but in theory, its decay rate is so slow that hair is virtually non-disintegrative.
- Just one individual human hair can hold 3.5 ounces, the approximate weight of two candy bars. When it comes to candy bars, I’d rather eat them rather than hang them in my hair.
- The nail on your middle finger grows the fastest, and the one on your dominant hand grows the faster than all the others.
4. Mommy Stuff
- During the first trimester of pregnancy, women often dream about frogs, worms and potted plants… eeeew!
- You spent half an hour as a single cell, after that you started dividing and slowly caught shape.
- Theoretically, a woman is able to bare 35 pregnancies during her reproductive period.
- When you eat too much, your hearing lessens, so you’d better not stuff yourself before going on a date, you wanna be able to hear what she or he has to say.
- Women are better smellers than men, they are born that way and never grow out of it.
- Your nose can and will remember more than 50,000 different scents, in fact, it’s a proven fact that the sense of smell is the most powerful memory trigger.
- Your smell is unique, only twins have the same smell.
6. Fun Facts
- The human body has enough potassium in it that it could make a toy explode.
- An average person spends 6 years of their life dreaming
- If all of the 600 muscles in our body were to contract at the same time, we would be able to pull a 25 tons tank
- Your Femur is tougher than concrete
- Men spend approximately 3.300 hours shaving, if they never shaved, the beard would be 9 meters long
- One person’s skin weighs twice as much as their brain
Written with love and coolness by crissa on August 26, 2011 in Interesting Things
How do you rate this article?